Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 8 oz
Net Carbs: 3.5g per serving
Fat: 5g per serving
Protein: 1g per serving
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 4 cups chayote squash, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes (approx. 4 chayote squash)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes, crumbled
- 4 cups water
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over low to medium heat.
- Stir in onion, garlic, red pepper and chili powder (optional) until onion is softened.
- Add chayote and cilantro.
- Continue stirring for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add water and bouillon to the saucepan and turn up heat to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently until bouillon is dissolved and chayote is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour mixture into a blender and purée until smooth.
- Pour into bowls and garnish as desired.