Yield: 8 servings
- 5 medium zucchini (~6 cups), shredded
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup unflavored whey protein powder
- 1½ cups shredded Italian-style cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning blend
- ¾ tsp ground black pepper
- Place the shredded zucchini in a large microwave safe bowl and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt, stirring to coat well (salting helps to release excess moisture so the casserole isn’t watery).
- Microwave zucchini for 2 to 3 minutes or until just tender and then transfer to a colander and allow zucchini to drain for 15 to 20 minutes (no need to rinse).
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375 F and oil a 9”x13” (or equivalent) baking dish and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, and the whey protein powder in a separate large bowl. Stir in the shredded cheese, onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, remaining salt (1 tsp), and black pepper.
- Layer the drained zucchini in the oiled baking dish and pour the egg/cream/cheese mixture evenly over the zucchini.
- Top with the grated Parmesan cheese and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until set and lightly browned. Cover the dish with foil after 30 minutes to prevent over browning.
- Allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes after removing from the oven and before slicing.