Serving size: 1 cup
- Two 12-oz bags frozen cauliflower florets
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- ⅓ cup unflavored whey protein powder (optional)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp powdered thyme
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened and sliced into cubes
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar or Colby jack cheese
- Microwave the frozen cauliflower florets according to package instructions. Place cooked florets in a bowl and set aside.
- If you choose to add whey protein (otherwise, skip this part): In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of broth with the whey protein powder until well-dispersed and without noticeable clumps.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, green onions (optional), parsley flakes and seasonings, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir in the balance of chicken broth and the cauliflower and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 5 minutes or until the cauliflower mashes easily with a fork.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the cauliflower until smooth. If you prefer a chunky consistency, you can remove a few of the cauliflower florets and add them back to the soup afterwards.
- While the soup is simmering, stir in the cubes of cream cheese until melted. If necessary, use the immersion blender to achieve a smooth texture.
- Stir in the shredded cheese until melted.
- Adjust seasonings as desired.