Yield: 8 servings
- 1 medium eggplant, washed and sliced (and green part removed)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Mozzarella cheese, sliced (approx. 8 oz)
- Walnut Pesto:
- 1½ cups packed fresh basil leaves, rinsed and dried
- ½ cup walnuts halves
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic in olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To make the walnut pesto, pulse together basil and walnuts in a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to pulse until well blended – scrape down the sides of the processor with a spatula, as needed.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and spray with olive oil.
- Place the eggplant slices on the pan and spread the pesto evenly on each slice. Top each slice with the Mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and the eggplant slices are tender.