Yield: 9 cups (72 oz)
Serving size: 12 oz
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts (or thighs), sliced into cubes
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, drained and cut into 1 inch slices
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika (can use regular paprika)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup unflavored whey protein powder (optional for extra protein)
- 6 cups raw spinach or arugula leaves
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown for ~5 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, mushrooms and green onions. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until soft.
- Return cooked chicken to pot and stir to blend together with cooked vegetables.
- Add roasted pepper and cream cheese and continue stirring to combine with other ingredients until cream cheese is melted.
- Gradually stir in the broth/stock and the seasonings while bringing to a simmer.
- Whisk in the heavy cream and whey protein powder (optional) and bring to a light boil. Add spinach and stir until leaves are wilted.
- Turn off heat and garnish as desired.