Yield: 6 cups
Serving size: 1 cup
Net Carb: 3.4g per serving
Fat: 22.3g per serving
Protein: 9g per serving
- 16 oz fresh asparagus spears (tough ends snapped off), sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups (1 quart) chicken bone broth
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon, crumbled
- 2 tsp dried onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp dry red chili pepper flakes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp lime or lemon juice
- ½ cup sour cream
Before you begin, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, stir together asparagus slices, melted butter, and salt and pepper until asparagus is well coated.
- Place asparagus on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast for 10 minutes and remove pan from oven.
- Turn asparagus pieces over and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- In a heavy medium-sized pot, heat butter on medium heat, and once melted, add garlic and stir for up to 1 minute or until slightly browned.
- Stir in 2 cups of the chicken bone broth, chicken bouillon, onion powder, black pepper, and red chili pepper flakes, and continue to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a blender, add balance of bone broth (2 cups) and the roasted asparagus pieces and blend together until smooth.
- Transfer all blender contents back to the broth mixture in the pot and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add in heavy cream, lime/lemon juice, and sour cream, stirring together to blend in well.
- Bring heat back to a simmer, stirring frequently, taking care not to scorch the bottom of the pot, until soup is a smooth consistency.
- Serve and garnish as desired.