Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 square
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup Roma tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup black olives, sliced
- 1 jalapeño (fresh or bottled), finely chopped (optional)
- 1½ cups cooked nitrite-free ham, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese, divided
- 10 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Oil a 9” x 13” casserole or baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onions, green pepper, mushrooms, and tomatoes, stirring often until softened.
- Add the olives, jalapeños (optional), and the ham, stirring well to combine with the skillet vegetable mixture. Remove from heat and set skillet aside.
- Sprinkle half the shredded cheese (½ cup) onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Layer with the vegetable-ham skillet mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth. Add the sour cream and the spices (and optional jalapeño) and continue to whisk together until well incorporated.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the mixture in the baking dish but do not stir.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese (½ cup) and bake for 30-35 minutes or until no longer runny in the center and lightly golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing into squares.
- Can wrap and freeze any remaining squares to enjoy as a quick anytime meal.