Yield: 8 slices
Serving size: 1 slice
- 10 oz package/box frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ tsp dried basil (or 1 Tbsp fresh, finely chopped)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 15 oz carton whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4 whole eggs, beaten
- ½ cup shredded Italian-style cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- Dash of smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Oil a 9-inch round casserole/pie dish and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the onion and spinach to the skillet and sauté until soft (1 to 2 minutes). Add the seasonings and continue to stir to blend well. Turn off the heat and set skillet aside.
- In a large bowl, blend together the ricotta cheese, beaten eggs, and shredded cheese until smooth.
- Fold-in the cooked spinach mixture and blend until well-incorporated.
- Pour ricotta-spinach mixture into casserole/pie dish and spread sour cream evenly over the top. Sprinkle with a dash of smoked paprika.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until center is set.
- Allow to cool for ~10 minutes before slicing.