Yield: 64 crackers
Serving size: 8 crackers
- 1½ cups English walnuts
- 2 Tbsps unflavored whey protein
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ Tbsp sesame seeds (optional for topping)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place walnuts in a food processor and pulse until they are ground into a fine meal.
- Add whey protein, baking powder, salt, and spices to the walnuts in the food processor and pulse to combine thoroughly.
- Add egg, cheese, and olive oil, and continue to process on high until the mixture forms a dough.
- Turn out dough onto a large piece of parchment and place another piece of parchment of a similar size onto the dough to cover.
- Using a roller, roll out the dough as evenly as possible to form a rectangular shape that is ~⅛ inch thick.
- Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to score the dough into 1-inch squares. Optional: sprinkle sesame seeds evenly over top of the sliced dough before baking.
- Transfer parchment with rolled out dough onto a large baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, rotating pan after 15 minutes. Bake until edges are golden brown and the crackers are firm to touch. For added crispiness, return pan to oven (after turning off oven) for 5 to 10 more minutes with the oven door slightly ajar – watch closely to ensure that crackers do not burn.
- Remove and allow to cool completely before breaking into squares, as they become more firm upon cooling.