Yield: 6 servings
- 1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups (~12oz) broccoli florets
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (any variety)
- 1½ Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp fresh or bottled pesto sauce
- ¾ cup finely shredded Italian-style cheese
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Place sliced chicken breast in a bowl and coat with seasonings and 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Heat the balance (2 Tbsp) of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken to the pan and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes until almost cooked through.
- Add the broccoli and mushrooms and sauté for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until broccoli is tender but still crisp. Turn heat down to lowest setting and cover skillet.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat and add the garlic, sautéing until the butter turns golden brown. Blend in the heavy cream, pesto, and shredded cheese, regularly stirring the sauce mixture until it reaches a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat and briefly simmer until sauce thickens.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli in the skillet, blending and tossing all to combine.
- Optional: Top with red pepper flakes and/or additional shredded cheese and serve with your favorite low-carb noodles.